‘Gangland’ attackers dumped loaded shotgun by kids’ play park

This CCTV footage shows the moment two men executed a “murderous attack” on an unsuspecting victim outside a shop.

Keiron Hassan, 32, and Kamal Legall, 26, launched the savage attack outside the Lifestyle Express shop in Harris Avenue, in the Rumney area of Cardiff, on April 13, and left 22-year-old Taylor Patterson with life-threatening injuries.

He was struck with a machete by Hassan and fell face-down onto the floor before Legall pulled the gun from his side, pointed it at Mr Patterson, and shot him at point-blank range. There were children in the area at the time during the daylight attack with one passing walker pushing a toddler in a pram.

The attack left Mr Patterson bleeding profusely from a five-inch wound in his upper neck that was caused by a “clean, sharp” cut.

Emergency services were called and Mr Patterson’s life was narrowly saved by paramedics and surgeons who operated on him.

South Wales Police senior investigating officer detective chief inspector Mark O’ Shea said the incident was an “outrageous outbreak of violence” and welcomed the conviction of both attackers following a lengthy trial at Newport Crown Court.

“Today’s conviction sends a very clear message to criminals of Cardiff and south Wales that if they choose to pick up a firearm South Wales Police will go after you relentlessly and, as Hassan and Legall found today, facing a jury and ultimately find themselves convicted of a crime that carries a very heavy sentence,” DCI O’ Shea said.

He added: “Legall discharged a shotgun at is intended victim but what I know from CCTV was that there were a lot of members of the public around at that time including young children – a lady was pushing a small toddler in the pram – and he discharged his shotgun at his intended victim, nearly killing him and putting a lot of people at risk as well.”

Hassan and Legall caught on camera
Hassan and Legall caught on camera
(Image: South Wales Police)

Over the course of the five-week trial jurors heard that at 3.15pm on April 13 Mr Patterson drove to a shop in Harris Avenue in his girlfriend’s Audi A3 and entered the store to buy two bottles of Lucozade.

He briefly spoke to a girl named Lily De Cruz and gave her £4 after she asked for money. Two men were then seen running towards Mr Patterson. The shorter of the two men, now known to be Hassan, was holding a machete.

Mr Patterson was struck with a machete and fell face-down and was screaming for help, prosecutors said.

During their investigation officers appealed for help to find the machete used and released this image of a similar weapon
During their investigation officers appealed for help to find the machete used and released this image of a similar weapon
(Image: South Wales Police)

The taller man, now known to be Legall, had a sawn-off shotgun in his hand. He said: “What do you think you’re doing? I’ll kill you now.”

Prosecutors said Legall pulled the gun from his side, pointed it at Mr Patterson, and shot him while standing over him.

Legall got into Mr Patterson’s car and drove off and Hassan got back into the Nissan Pathfinder they had arrived in and fled the scene.

Ms De Cruz went over to assist Mr Patterson and she told the jury he said: “Am I going to die? I’m going to die if the ambulance doesn’t turn up.”

She asked Mr Patterson if he knew the men and he said told her that he did.

Mr Patterson spent between four and five hours in surgery and was given blood transfusions which saved his life.

An investigation was launched and Eley Grand Prix 12 bore shotgun cartridges were discovered at the scene.

A shotgun cartridge found by police
A shotgun cartridge found by police
(Image: South Wales Police)

CCTV footage was also analysed and the movements of the attackers were traced.

The Nissan Pathfinder was seen travelling from Cardiff Bay to Legall’s address in Fairwater. It was then driven back to Cardiff Bay to get petrol in Asda.

The two were then seen travelling to a children’s play area near Harrowby Street where it is claimed they retrieved the shotgun from a secret hide.

The car then proceeded to the Tremorfa area before travelling along the A48 and onto Greenway Road and Harris Road.

Following the attack the Nissan and Audi were seen driving at high speed in convoy towards Cardiff Bay before pulling into West Close, where the driver of the Audi got out and stepped into the Nissan.

The vehicle then returned to Harrowby Street where the shotgun was returned to the children’s play area before the Nissan was driven to Clive Street Lane in Grangetown where both men got out.

Hassan was later seen returning to the Nissan to retrieve a red bag which had an object protruding from the top.

The Nissan was later discovered at an address in Cedar Grove and the shotgun was retrieved from the play area, wrapped in a khaki jacket, along with a shotgun cartridge and a blank fire pistol.

DCI O’Shea said Hassan and Legall added “further insult” by stashing the loaded weapon in a park in Butetown.

A sawn-off shotgun used in the attack was left, loaded, near a children's play area
A sawn-off shotgun used in the attack was left, loaded, near a children’s play area
(Image: South Wales Police)

“That shotgun had a cartridge in the barrel. It was loaded and it was ready to be fired and I just dread to think what would happen if a small child was to pick it up,” he said.

“So as far as these two criminals are concerned not only did they cause significant injury to their intended victim, they put a lot of people at risk and then particularly the children of Butetown at risk because where they hid that weapon was right next to children’s play park, which I think is outrageous.”

Items were analysed for DNA profiles and Legall’s DNA was linked to shotgun cartridges, fragments of blue latex gloves, the shotgun itself, and a pistol. Hassan’s DNA was linked to false number plates.

There was a major police presence in the aftermath of the incident
There was a major police presence in the aftermath of the incident
(Image: Media Wales)
Police conducted a painstaking investigation
Police conducted a painstaking investigation
(Image: Media Wales John Myers)

After their arrest Hassan and Legall both denied their involvement in the shooting.

They later claimed they had been in the Nissan Pathfinder, following the shooting, after being approached by a man named Paddy who asked them if they wanted to buy the vehicle.

“We’re very happy that this was an isolated incident,” DCI O’ Shea said. “The two men convicted today are cousins and whatever their feud was with their intended victim I don’t know entirely.

“But it doesn’t matter I don’t think. I think the fact that they’ve used a firearm is enough for us to invest everything that we have to to make sure justice is done and in this case it has thankfully.”

Hassan, of Grand Avenue, Ely, and Legall, of Tatem Drive, Fairwater, were both found guilty of the attempted murder of Mr Patterson on Friday.

The jury took five hours and 50 minutes to reach their guilty verdicts on charges of attempted murder and possession of a sawn-off shotgun without authority, which both men denied. Legall also initially denied failing to provide a key to protected information but changed his plea to guilty during the trial.

They will be sentenced next month.

WalesOnline – Cardiff