Man, 24, died suddenly after being in police custody in Cardiff overnight

Police have confirmed that a 24-year-old man who died in Cardiff on Saturday had been in Cardiff Bay police station the previous night.

Officers said that the death of Mohamud Mohammed Hassan was “sudden and unexplained”.

The force said he had been taken into custody following a disturbance on Newport Road in Roath on Friday night. He left custody at around 8.30am on Saturday morning.

A fundraiser has already raised more than £7,000 to raise money for the funeral and for legal fees and supporters have called for answers.

In a statement, the force said: “South Wales Police is investigating the sudden and unexplained death of 24 year-old Mohamud Mohammed Hassan on Saturday, January 9.

“Police were called by the Welsh Ambulance Service to a multi-occupancy property on Newport Road, Roath, shortly after 10.30pm.

“Mr Hassan had been in custody at Cardiff Bay Police Station the previous night following a disturbance at the same property.

“He was arrested on suspicion of breach of the peace and later released without charge which is normal procedure for this offence.

“Mr Hassan left custody at around 8.30am on Saturday morning.

“His death has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct as death after police contact and we are arranging the deployment of a family liaison officer to Mr Hassan’s family.

“As part of the South Wales Police investigation CCTV and Body Worn Video has already been, and will continue to be, examined.

“This will assist in establishing and understanding the events that took place.

“Early findings by the force indicate no misconduct issues and no excessive force.

“We are aware of the extensive reporting on social media but due to the on-going investigation and referral to the IOPC we are unable to comment any further at this stage.

“A post-mortem examination is due to take place tomorrow and until a cause of death has been confirmed we would urge against speculation.

An Independent Office for Police Conduct spokesperson said: “We are assessing the referral to determine whether the IOPC needs to be involved in an investigation.”

Lee Jasper, a human rights activist, said the family deserve answers.

He said: “When it comes to suspicious deaths in custody there is no justice in this country.

“We continue to be treated like third class citizens in a supposed first class democracy

“As a consequence we see fundamental repetition of the same scenarios and fundamental breaches of our human rights.

“The Black Lives Matter emphasis going forward has to be on the wholesale reconstruction of the system of enquiry and accountability surrounding policing.”

A Gofundme page has also been set up which has raised more than £7,000 on the first day.

A tribute to the man on the fundraiser, reads: “We are attempting to raise money for funeral arrangements and legal fees.

“A case has been opened however to ensure justice we are also looking into opening a private case of our own.

“The family are devastated by the loss of their eldest son and will not allow Mohamud to become another statistic.

“Black men cannot continue to be treated as second class citizens by police. His death was avoidable as were so many others.

“Mohamud was not the first victim of police brutality but we will try and make sure that he is the last.”

WalesOnline – Cardiff